Basteria is the peer-reviewed scientific journal of the Netherlands Malacological Society. It is published twice a year (normally nrs 1-3 in July-August and nrs 4-6 in December). In Basteria, original articles are published about malacological subjects like taxonomics, systematics, fauna surveys, (palaeo)ecology, (palaeo)biogeography, mollusc behavior, anatomy, book reviews, etc. Articles are reviewed by an editorial board of prominent malacologists and can be offered by members as well as non-members. Basteria is mainly published in English.
Basteria is named after a famous Dutch scientist from the 18th century, Mr. Job Baster.
- Dr. P.G. (Graham) Oliver (editor in chief)
- Dr. F.P.L. (Frank) Collas (editor freshwater molluscs)
- Prof.dr. G. (Gerard) van der Velde (editor freshwater molluscs)
- H. (Henk) Dekker (editor marine molluscs)
- Drs. M.S.S. (Marc) Lavaleye (editors marine molluscs)
- J. (Jonathan) Ablett (editor terrestrial molluscs and Cephalopoda)
- B. (Barna) Páll-Gergely (editor terrestrial molluscs)
- R. (Robert) Forsyth (lay-out editor)
Associate editors involved in Basteria are:
- Prof.dr. E. (Edi) Gittenberger
- Prof.dr. G. (Geerat) Vermeij
- Dr. F. (Frank) Wesselingh
- Prof.dr. M. (Menno) Schilthuizen
Manuscripts can be sent to the editorial address.
Guidelines for authors
More information about the requirements of manuscripts for Basteria can be found here.
The ISSN-number of Basteria is 0005-6219.
A regular issue is a combination of nrs 1-3 or of nrs 4-6.
The prices per issue (excluding postage) are:
- Issues of the last four years: €24,00
- Issues 2010-2016: €7,50
- Issues before 2010: €5,00
- Basteria Festschrift Edi Gittenberger (2008): €5,00
Postage of one issue: Netherlands € 4,50 / Belgium and Germany € 9,30. Postage of more than one issue and to other countries: on demand.
For single issues send a mail to the secretary.
All articles of the volumes 1934-2012 (except 2008) are available on natuurtijdschriften.nl. Downloading a PDF is free of charge.
Basteria is a printed journal. Digital versions of more recent volumes are not available and subscription to a digital version is not possible.
New taxa in Basteria
At the 80th anniversary of Basteria, a list of new taxa described in Basteria was published. This list has since been updated on a regular basis.
Here you can find some suplementary information to Basteria.
An index (in PDF) on Basteria 1-84 can be found here.
A complete overview of all new taxa introduced in the Basteria 1-84 can be found here.
Papers from Basteria (2016 and before) can be downloaded from the site natuurtijdschriften.nl.
Click on the contents picture to see the contents of some of the latest issues.
Basteria 84 (4-6)
Basteria 84 (1-3)
Basteria 83 (4-6)
Basteria 83 (1-3)
Basteria 82 (4-6)
Basteria 82 (1-3)
Basteria 81 (4-6)
Basteria 81 (1-3)
Basteria 80 (4-6)
Basteria 80 (1-3)
Basteria 79 (4-6)
Basteria 79 (1-3)
Basteria 78 (4-6)
Basteria 78 (1-3)
Basteria 77 (4-6)
Basteria 77 (1-3)